Prior to the identification of the Ateneo partner communities, a great number of community outreach activities, classified under the eight development agenda, were conducted to different groups, institutions and communities in Bicol Region.
DISASTER RESPONSE MANAGEMENT
The following were the activities done in response to the needs of the community after typhoon Reming strucked the locality:
• The faculty members of the Social Sciences and Theology Departments participated in the Bahay-Atenista, rebuilding homes activity on December 17-23, 2006.
• Some faculty members of the Theology Department participated in the Ateneo Relief Operations on December 19-20, 2006 on some barangays in Canaman, Calabanga, and Pamplona.
• The College Reading Center through the HELP Learning Center shared clothes, blankets and some school materials to selected residents of San Fernando and Lupi, Camarines Sur.
• The Philosophy Department in partnership with Ina nin Bikol Foundation celebrated Eucharist and distributed relief goods to fifty families residing at Basura, Balatas Road, Naga City.
• The Media Studies Department in cooperation with the Media Studies Society held its outreach program on December 17, 2006 in Barangay Trevesia, Guinobatan, Albay.
• Some faculty members of Psychology and Theology Department conducted a debriefing session on December 18 and 21, 2006 to Aquinas University Administrators and faculty.
• The Department of Media Studies and its co-curricular organization, Media Studies Society participated in the University-wide outreach program in distributing foods to famished families after three consecutive storms. Aside from this, they had their own outreach program for fifty families at Brgy. Sta. Cruz, San Fernando, Camarines Sur on December 17, 2004 at Barangay Barobaybay, Magarao, Camarines Sur. Forty (40) families of this remote, coastal barangay were the beneficiaries of used clothing, rice, and grocery items.
• The College Reading Center accommodated a group of teachers from other colleges and universities, to, wit, Mabini Colleges on October 23; and Bicol University on November 10. The said groups were interested in knowing the background of SRA, its implementation and costs of implementation.
• A faculty of the College Reading Center served as English teacher to the Missionaries of the Poor.
• The College of Arts and Sciences organized the General Assembly of Officers and Board of Directors of the Deans on August 18, 2006 at the Madrigal Center for Social Entrepreneurship. The theme for the activity was “Towards a Creative and Relevant Tertiary Education”.
• The Council of Deans and Department Chairs through the Office of the Dean conducted the following assembly:
a. Quality Education through Outcomes-Based Instruction and Evaluation on July 27-28, 2006 at the Madrigal Center for Social Entrepreneurship, Ateneo De Naga University; and
b. CODDCCAS Fourth Quarter Meeting on December 10, 2004 at Holy Trinity College Seminar, Labo, Camarines Norte.
• The English and Literature Department organized a lecture-forum on “Primio Tomas Arejola” on April 19, 2006 at the Instructional Media Center by Dr. Paz Verdades M. Santos.
• The Mathematics and Sciences Department sponsored the Regional Science Conference: Pedagogy, concepts and Issues at the Instructional Media Center on March 4, 2006.
• Dr. Ronald Elicay served as speaker on Seminar Workshop on “Effective Syllabus Preparation and Lesson Planning” at CCDI System on December 22-23, 2004.
• Dr. Elicay conducted a LET Review at Camarines Sur State Agricultural College-Bicol Institute of Science and Technology, Sipocot, Camarines Sur Campus on August 22, 2004; and on Theories of Learning at Camarines Sur State Agricultural College-Main Campus at Pili Camarines Sur on September 6, 2004.
• Dr. Digna Alba and Mr. Adonis Rugeria on conducted an activity on “IEC Training Course on Process Documentation” on October 14-17, 2004 for the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) fisheries Resources Management Project (FRMP) help Liboro, Albay at the Ragay National Agricultural and Fisheries School (RNAFS).
• Upon recommendation, of Dr. Malicsi, the proponent of the language programs adopted by the Universidad, Mr. Vernon de los Trino conducted Seminar-Workshop on Speech Improvement for Language Educators at St. Peter College Foundation in Lupi, Camarines Sur on October 26-29, 2004.
• The Director of the College Reading Center served as in-house counselor for parents and relatives of the students at HELP Learning Center and also as member of the Board of trustees of the HLC.
• Three senior students of Psychology Department helped in facilitating the Youth Leadership Training Seminar at Kolping International on August 26-27, 2006.
• The Group Process Class of Dr. Elicay facilitated Group Growth Activities, Self-Awareness and Smooth Interpersonal Relationship Activities to the high school graduationg students of Lyceo de Pasacao, San Jose National High School and Calabanga National High School on August 20, 27 and September 1, respectively.
• The Department of Media Studies conducted a Lecture-Forum on Independent Film-Making last August 13, 2004. The speaker was Mr. Antonio Imperial Gloria, president of UNITEL Pictures. A total of two hundred thirty nine (239) participants packed the Bro. Richard Fernando, S. J. Conference Hall.
• A multi-sectoral discussion on Charter Moves was convened by a faculty member of the Social Sciences Department in the House of Representative on December 8, 2006. The chair of the said department participated in this activity.
• The lecture on the Power and Control Change: Control or Tyranny? was held on December 12 and 13, 2006 at the Madrigal Center for Social Entrepreneurship. The speaker was Fr. Patrick Riordon, S.J. The activity was participated by sectoral leaders, government official and media men of Naga City.
• Mr. Renne Gumba was the producer and organizer of the BEAT FM radio program entitled, Orolay Sadit Sana which started on June 24, 2006.
• Ms. Bernadette Gavino Gumba represented the University in the Regional meeting of the Development Administrative Committee of NEDA Region V in Rawis, Albay on June 15, 2006.
• The Social Sciences Department conducted the Regional Political Convention on September 9, 2004 and a forum on “A roadmap of Fiscal Rehabilitation on October 1, 2004 at Xavier Hall.
• The Economics Cluster initiated and worked for the University Statement on the Fiscal Crises. The statement was posted in the webpage.
• The Theology Department was actively involved in the archdiocesan activities pertinent to Election 2004:
a. The department initiated the “Lakaw sa Pagbabago”, a voters education program in coordination with PPRCV.
b. The department co-sponsored with CCYM a seminar-workshop on voter’s Education Program.
HEALTH AND NUTRITION
• Ms. Antonette Rodriguez served as speaker on “Emotional Health Problem and How it affects Human Person” to the College of Nursing at the Naga College foundation on January 21, 2005.
• The Theology Department conducted a 3-day lecture on Jeremiah, the Book and the Prophet at Bro. Richard Michael Fernando, S.J Conference Hall from August 21-23, 2006. The activity was participated in by lay persons from various universities such as Aquinas University, La Consolacion College, Universidad de Sta. Isabel, Religious Congregations, parishes and the seminary. There were about seventy (70) persons who attended the activity.
• Mr. Perry Goingo discussed the following topics to the Archdiocesan Mission Formation Team on September:
a. The Role of the Youth in the Apostolic Mission of the Local Church.
b. We are called to be Missionaries.
c. The Lay Leaders and their Role in Missionary Activity of the Church.
• The Theology Department organized a Symposium on the Bikolano Devotion to Our Lady of Penafrancia last September 3, 2004 at the Arrupe Convention Hall.
• The team of Dr. Emelina Regis was involved in the research information dissemination of updates and research findings on Mining in Rapu-Rapu.
• Dr. Cristina Lim, Mr. Renne Gumba and Ms. Bernadette Gavino-Gumba joined the region wide Forum on the Lafayette Mining Company during the Bicol Business Week on June 22, 2006 at the Regent Hotel, Naga City.
• The Social Sciences Department helped the INECAR in their Signature Campaign against Mining in Rapu-Rapu Island.
From USIC Archives.