The College of Arts and Sciences traces its roots to the College of Liberal Arts which ws opened for men by Ateneo de Naga on June 5, 1947. The latter offered a four-year Commerce course (Bachelor of Science in Commerce) along with three two-year programs (Associate in Commercial Science, Associate in Arts, and Pre-Law). It started with 87 students and conferred the first academic degrees in 1950.
On October 26, 1953 the institution became co-educational when five women were admitted into the college.
Starting 1951, the four-year courses that are identified with the present College of Arts and Sciences were offered. The first of them was Bachelor of Arts. In 1966, the college was issued Recognition No. 138, s.1966 for bachelor of Science courses. A program combining Liberal Arts and Commerce (LIACOM) was offered in 1978.
In 1980 the College of Liberal Arts was divided into the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Business Administration. Each was headed by an Assistant Dean who reported directly to the Dean of College. In January 1981, a full time dean was appointed for each of the colleges and the Collge was restructure into different areas of instruction. Under the School of Arts and Sciences were six areas: Economics, Religious Studies, Philosophy, Social Sciences and Education, English and Languages, Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Each area was headed by a Department Chairman who reported directly to the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences.
The appointment of a new President on June 21, 1982 resulted to structural changes in Ateneo de Naga. Among them was the creation of the Office of Academic Vice-President. The new Academic Vice-President served concurrently as Dean of College. Under this set-up the colleges were reverted into academic departments. On September 23, 1996, the College was divided into three colleges each to be headed by a dean. These are the College of arts an Sciences (CAS), the College of Commerece (CC), and the College of Information and Technology and Engineering (CITE). The departments under the College of Arts and Sciences are as follows:
Department of Religious Studies and Philosophy
Department of English and Development Communication’
Department of Mathematics and the Natural Sciences
Department of the Social Sciences
Department of Education
Department of Physical Education
In addition, the offices which attend to the common concerns of the college were also placed under the College of Arts and Sciences. These are: the College Admission and Aid Office, the College Guidance Center, the Office of Student Affairs, the Community Outreach Program, and the Campus Ministry. On August 25, 1997, the Department of Education was formally instituted into a separate college with a full-time dean. As of school year 1998-1999 CAS has a total enrollment of 1114.
Two sets of administrators ran the College of Arts and Sciences. The first set is comprised of those who ran the entire college and therefore were appropriately designated Dean of College, and the second set served as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.
The Deans of College or Academic Deans:
Rev. Regalado, S.J. 1949-1953
Rev. Edward Sullivan, S.J. 1953-1956
Rev. Vincent Towers, S.J. 1956-1959
Rev. Robert Rice, S.J. 1959-1961
Rev. John J. Phelan, S.J. 1961-1964
Rev. Oscar Millar, S.J. 1966-1972
Rev. John J. Phelan, S.J. 1972-1979
Rev. Jose Maria Fuentes, S.J. 1979-1981 (concurrently President)
Rev. Renato Puentevella,S.J. 1981-1983
Rev. Renato Jimenez, S.J. 1983-1984
Mr. Melanio M. Regis 1984-1991
Mr. Crisanto Castro, Jr. 1991-1992
Mrs. Lydia T. Goingo 1992-1993
Mr. Alfredo Fabay 1993-1994
Mrs. Emelina G. Regis 1994-1995
Dr. Melanio M. Regis 1995-1996
The Deans of the College of Arts and Sciences
Dr. Milagros Reyes 1980-1981
Dr. Melanio M. Regis 1996-1997
Dr. Lydia T. Goingo 1997- present